Beyond Basics Short Course 4 weeks
A four week (10 hour) short course for ‘beyond basics’ sewists over four Friday evenings.
Students may have completed one of our Learn to Sew One Day Workshops , Beginner’s Courses or similar.
This Beyond Basics Short Course will focus on using sewing patterns to make simple garments including:
- where to find a good selection of sewing patterns around Melbourne and online
- source, download and print a pdf pattern from the internet
- read the vital information about style, sizing and fabric found on the pattern envelope
- understand the various components of the instruction sheet and the pattern pieces (layout, symbols, measurements).
- compile and trace, home-printed and tissue patterns in preparation for cutting
- layout the fabric, pin down the pattern and cut it out.
- transfer markings and prepare the cut pieces for sewing
Depending on the project you choose to make you will learn skills such as:
– Applying interfacing and attach a facing or waistband.
– Attaching neck bindings (both bias and stretch)
– Special techniques for sewing stretch fabrics
– Setting in sleeves
– Making buttonholes and attaching pockets.
Sewing is a wonderful life skill to possess. Being able to mend, alter, or make your own clothes and homewares from scratch can save you money, reduce your impact on the environment and give you enormous pleasure and pride. You will find that you value and cherish the things you make for years to come. Gaining confidence in using a sewing machine and stitching by hand is the first step to realising any number of textile projects. From clothes making and crafting to incorporating sewn textiles into your creative practice knowing how to sew is an essential skill!
If you would like more information about this course feel free to contact us . A minimum of four students is required for the class to go ahead.