Beginner’s Sewing Courses Term Four – 8 weeks (20hrs) from 6th October OR 7 weeks (21hrs) from 10th October (BOTH FULL!)
Introductory Beginner’s Sewing Courses for budding sewists. Learn to Sew use a sewing machine and develop essential sewing techniques.
Men are encouraged to attend our Beginner’s Sewing Course! (suitable projects will be offered for you)
Week One – Introduction and sewing roll
– Make friends with your sewing machine – learn about the parts and how they work, how to wind a bobbin and thread your machine.
– Become familiar with sewing terminology and the other equipment you will use.
– Make a useful fabric sewing roll to store your equipment. Sew seams, make hems and pockets.
Weeks Two to Four – Floor cushion (for pet or person) with box corners and a zip OR Zippered Pouch OR Reversible Curvy Bag
– Sew straight and curved seams
– Insert a zip.
– Make box corners and darts
– Neaten and top stitch seams for a professional finish.
Weeks Five – Seven /Eight- Intro to making garments
– Prepare, cut and sew two simple garments using a range of techniques. The first project will be a simple stretch t-shirt or woven box top. Depending on time we will also make one or two of the following projects: Leisure Pants / Cross Back Apron
You will learn:
– Sewing Pattern Basics
– A range of essential sewing techniques for garment construction
– Trimming, pressing and finishing (including hand stitching)
Please note: The class content may vary over the duration of the course depending on the preferences of the student group.
If you already have some sewing experience and are interested in learning more about making garments, read about our Beyond Basics Courses.
Where: The Gaye Abandon School of Sewing and Upcycling, Level 1, 9/131 Hyde St, Footscray.
When: Tuesday evenings 6.30 – 9pm from OCTOBER 6TH (20 hours over 8 weeks)
OCTOBER 6th, 13th, 20th, 27th NOVEMBER 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th
Saturday mornings 10am – 1pm from OCTOBER 10TH (21 hours of tuition over seven weeks)
OCTOBER 10th, 17th, 24th, 31st, NOVEMBER 7th, 14th, 21st
We will provide: Sewing machines if required and all other equipment. A lovely bright, spacious studio to sew in. Fabric for the first two projects. Beverages, snacks, handout notes, friendly people and lots of very practical techniques!
Bring along: Your own sewing machine and kit if you prefer. You will be required to purchase fabric for the latter projects.
Getting here: We are located in the Hyde Business Park, 131 Hyde St, Footscray, close to Yarraville Gardens.
Public Transport: We are 6 minutes walk (550 metres) from Seddon Station or 10 mins walk from Footscray Station straight up Hyde St.The 409 bus runs up Hyde St between Yarraville and Highpoint Shopping Centre (via Footscray) There are stops very close to us. There is street parking in Hyde St and customer parking behind the complex in Cowper St. See our Contact Page for a map.
Policies and Payment Options: Due to our small class numbers we have strict Refund and Cancellation Policies Be sure to familiarise yourself with them before booking to avoid disappointment. By booking this course you are agreeing to these policies.
You can choose to make payment via Paypal using a credit card / Paypal balance, or by Direct Deposit. You will find our bank details in your booking confirmation email. If you don’t receive an email upon booking please check your Junk folder.
NB. If you are booking more than 6 weeks in advance, payment can be made in two instalments via direct deposit with the balance due two weeks before the commencement of classes. If you would like to take this option, please choose Direct Deposit at checkout and make payment of half the course fee ($245) when you book (enter order number and DEP in the description field)
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or would like more information.