- You cannot add "Braided Rag Rug Workshop BACK IN 2020!" to the cart because the product is out of stock.
School of Frock! Weekend Dressmaking Intensive
Make a party dress for special times and sunny days. A perfect opportunity to sew-your-own for the Spring social season!
A 15 hour intensive over 3 sessions for advanced beginners through to more experienced sewists. You will make a dress that fits using a sewing pattern suited to your skill level and taste. This workshop is being held simultaneously with our special Sewing for Melbourne Frocktails 2019! intensive.
We recommend the vintage-inspired frock patterns from indie pattern label Sew Over It (view the Sew Over It range of patterns available at Fabric Deluxe (our sewing neighbours in Footscray) here.
In this 15 hour dressmaking intensive you will:
- make a fitted dress for Spring using a sewing pattern of your choice.
- Fast track your sewing expertise. You will learn a wealth of essential dressmaking techniques you can apply to future sewing projects
- Receive personalised fitting help and adjustments to ensure your frock looks great on you!
- Get 10% off fabrics, patterns and haberdashery from Footscray’s quality fabric store, Fabric Deluxe (exclusive of Vlisco fabrics and any other discount offers)
For Those About to Frock….. We Support You!
Skill level: This intensive is pitched at ‘beyond basics’ beginner sewists who already have experience sewing simple garments using a sewing machine. You will have an understanding of how to correctly thread and operate the machine to sew seams, hems etc. and preferably some familiarity with sewing patterns and sewing terminology.
If you are an absolute beginner attending our Learn to Sew Intensive on Saturday October 5th will give you the skills you require to enroll in this intensive. Men are most welcome to attend. We will adjust the project to suit (ie. if you don’t want to make a frock for a lady friend you can sew a shirt for yourself)! The intensive is limited to 6 students (4 places still available)
Your Teacher: Zoe Gymer-Waldron has taught sewing and pattern making classes at the sewing school for the last two years. She is a NIDA trained costume maker and possesses a wealth of dressmaking, garment design and fitting knowledge.
Session 1 6pm – 9pm:
This is an optional session for students who require help with preparing their pattern ready to start sewing in Session Two. Students who are already experienced in the below steps can choose to cut out at home if they prefer. Both Zoe and sewing school director Gaye Naismith will be present at this session. Zoe will help you with any fitting issues that need consideration prior to cutting your pattern.
The Friday evening session may include (depending on the needs of students):
-taking measurements and checking against garment measurements to determine the size you will make
– tracing your selected size off a multi size pattern
– correct and most efficient ways of laying out your pattern pieces on the fabric using the principles of straight grain.
– cutting out your pieces and transferring symbols from the pattern pieces to the fabric. Cutting and applying necessary interfacing.
Sessions Two and Three
6 hours each session plus 30mins lunch break. Taken by costumier, dressmaker and regular Gaye Abandon teacher Zoe Gymer-Waldron.
In these two sessions you will work through the instructions detailed in your sewing pattern to construct your garment.
Zoe will guide you though the steps on your instruction sheet, teach you the techniques required by your design, and assist you with any fitting challenges.
Depending on your chosen project, skills and techniques you may learn include:
-Inserting dress zippers – Invisible or standard
-Setting in sleeves
-Attaching facings, bindings, collars, bodices and skirt panels,
-Buttonholes, hemming and professional hand and machine finishing techniques
-Adding in-seam and other kinds of pockets
We will provide:
– a supportive, inclusive, non-competitive atmosphere in which you can work at your own pace to complete your Frocktails outfit
– Sewing machines and all other equipment, tea and coffee
– extensive tuition on garment construction
– Special access to a reserved Frocktails ticket if you’re interested in attending.
– Your own sewing machine if you would prefer to use it instead of one of ours.
– Pins, scissors and tracing material.
– A sewing pattern suited to your skill level that you can complete within the 12 hour intensive. We suggest you use a pattern from the indie pattern company Sew Over It (see above) as they have a great range of frock patterns we have worked with many times. If you pre-order a Sew Over Pattern with us, it will be included in your course fee. You are welcome to use your own pattern if you prefer. Zoe can advise you on pattern and fabric choices suited to your skill level before the intensive commences.
– Fabric suited to your pattern.
Where: School of Frock will be held at our bright, spacious sewing school: Level 1, 9/131 Hyde St, Footscray.
Getting here: We are located in the Hyde Business Park close to Yarraville Gardens. 5 minutes walk (550 metres) from Seddon Station or 12 mins walk from Footscray Station straight up Hyde St. There are also bus stops nearby.
There is street parking in Hyde St and customer parking behind the complex in Cowper St. See our Contact Page for a map.
NB. There is no visitor parking inside the business park but you can drive in to drop off/pick up things and people if required.
Our workshops are NON REFUNDABLE and NON TRANSFERABLE.
Please familiarise yourself with all our Refund and Cancellation Policies before booking. By booking this workshop you are agreeing to these policies.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or would like more information
Out of stock