Sewing Machine Basics Workshop Saturday 24th November 2pm – 5pm
Make friends with your sewing machine! Learn the essential stitches and techniques you need to begin sewing in this Sewing Machine Basics workshop. You will make a simple bag and/or pillow case to take home and learn the skills to get you started on your own projects.
In this three hour workshop you will learn:
- about the various parts of your sewing machine and understand what they do
- to set up your sewing machine and prepare the threads ready to start sewing
- the uses of the various machine feet and other accessories
- to stitch straight lines and curves and adjust stitch types for various uses
- to sew and finish seams and hems
- what to look for when purchasing a sewing machine
- to make a simple bag and a cushion cover
Sewing is a wonderful life skill to possess. Being able to mend, alter, or make your own clothes and homewares from scratch can save you money, reduce your impact on the environment and give you enormous pleasure and pride. You will find that you value and cherish the things you make for years to come. Gaining confidence in using a sewing machine is the first step to realising any number of textile projects. From clothes making and crafting to incorporating sewn textiles into your creative practice knowing how to use a sewing machine is a must!
For students keen to make clothing and other items using sewing patterns, this class can be taken in conjunction with the Sewing Pattern Basics Workshop
If the scheduled time for this workshop does not suit you contact us to discuss an alternative time. A minimum of four students is required for the class to go ahead.