Sewing Lesson for One (2 hrs)
A two hour long, customised, one to one session of sewing / upcycling fun!
From sewing and mending basics, to understanding sewing patterns and learning to make outfits for yourself and your loved ones, we can customise the class to suit you!
And we’re not just about sewing clothes! Get help with a special textiles project, or to learn to create crafts and homewares from upcycled textiles.
Contact Gaye to discuss what you have in mind and we can plan the session out together and book a date for our first lesson.
Sessions can be repeated at intervals that suit you.
Note: you will need multiple sessions to complete a garment or a special project.
We also offer a 10 hour block of private lessons at a reduced hourly rate here
WHERE: The Gaye Abandon Workroom, 122 Buckley St, Footscray
WHEN: Sessions can be scheduled for weekdays only Wednesdays or Thursdays. Let us know your preferred dates and times when checking out or contact us.
Read on for more private class ideas.
Sewing Lesson for One
Some Private Class Ideas:
Sewing Basics– for absolute beginners
- Learn how to use a sewing machine.
- Gain an understanding of fabrics, sewing equipment and basic sewing principles.
- Try your hand at hand stitching- a valuable life skill with loads of applications.
- Complete a fun project of your choice such as a pillow case, baby’s bib, scarf or tote bag using upcycled, heirloom or remnant textiles.
- Learn easy mending, alteration and refashioning techniques to get your wardrobe working for you!
- Tap into your tutor’s vast knowledge of sewing resources and recommendations.
Beyond beginners- get creative!
Sew a simple garment from go to woah
Using a vintage or contemporary sewing pattern, learn to hand or machine sew a beautifully finished piece of clothing such as a skirt, top or dress. Your tutor will take you through all aspects of garment construction. Suitable for students with basic sewing skills or those who want to build on their existing sewing experience.
NB. A piece of clothing will usually take 4 – 8 sessions to complete.
Make your own homewares and accessories
- Customise your home with crafts, cushions and soft furnishings of all kinds, or try your hand at doona covers, throws or roman blinds!
- Learn to sew a bespoke purse, bag or backpack using vintage or upcyled fabrics.
- Get creative on a project of your choice using upcycled jumpers, jeans, table linens or manchester
Advanced sewists – Finesse your skills
For competent sewists looking for a challenge:
- Learn tricks and techniques to achieve a professional finish.
- Delve into more advanced sewing techniques such as welt pockets, piped seams and plackets.
- Tackle a more complex piece of clothing or a tricky creative textile project.
If you have a particular project in mind that you would like help with get in touch and lets have a chat about it!