Sewing for Melbourne Frocktails 2019! Weekend Dressmaking Intensive 11th, 12th & 13th October (15 hrs tuition)
A weekend intensive for budding dressmakers of all genders who would like support to make a fabulous outfit for Melbourne Frocktails 2019!
Sewing for Melbourne Frocktails 2019! Under our expert guidance you will make a professional looking and fitting garment that you can wear with confidence and pride! Join the Frocktails fun on November 9th and show off your ‘me-made’ garment (more details about Frocktails night here).
In this 15 hour dressmaking intensive you will:
- make a dress (or other garment) for Melbourne Frocktails 2019 using a sewing pattern of your choice.
- Fast track your sewing expertise. You will learn a wealth of essential dressmaking techniques you can apply to future sewing projects
- Gain special access to a reserved Frocktails ticket. These tickets are hot property! General addmission tickets to the event are SOLD OUT! (NB.The workshop fee does not include the price of the Frocktails ticket).
- Get 10% off fabrics, patterns and haberdashery from Footscray’s quality fabric store, Fabric Deluxe (exclusive of Vlisco fabrics and any other discount offers)
For Those About to Frocktail….. We Support You!
Skill level: This intensive is pitched at beginner sewists who already have experience sewing simple garments using a sewing machine. You will have an understanding of how to correctly thread and operate the machine to sew seams, hems etc. and preferably some familiarity with sewing patterns and sewing terminology.
If you are an absolute beginner attending our Learn to Sew Intensive on Sunday 15th of September or the Sewing Machine Basics and Essential Sewing Techniques workshops on Sunday 29th September will give you the skills you require to enroll in this intensive.
Men are most welcome to attend. We will adjust the project to suit (ie. if you don’t want to make a frock for a lady friend you can sew a shirt for yourself)! The intensive is limited to 6 students (4 places still available)
Session 1 Friday 11th October 6pm – 9pm:
This is an optional session for students who require help with preparing their pattern ready to start sewing in Session Two. Students who are already experienced in the below steps can do their cutting out at home if they prefer. Your teacher will be Gaye Naismith.
The Friday evening session may include (depending on the needs of students):
-taking measurements and checking against garment measurements to determine the size you will make
– tracing your selected size off a multi size pattern
– correct and most efficient ways of laying out your pattern pieces on the fabric using the principles of straight grain.
– cutting out your pieces and transferring symbols from the pattern pieces to the fabric. Cutting and applying necessary interfacing.
Sessions Two and Three Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th October 10am – 4.30:
6 hours each session plus 30mins lunch break. Taken by costumier, dressmaker and regular Gaye Abandon teacher Zoe Gymer-Waldron.
In these two sessions you will work through the instructions detailed in your sewing pattern to construct your garment.
Zoe will guide you though the steps on your instruction sheet, teach you the techniques required by your design, and assist you with any fitting challenges.
Depending on your chosen project, skills and techniques you may learn include:
-Inserting dress zippers – Invisible or standard
-Setting in sleeves
-Attaching facings, bindings, collars, bodices and skirt panels,
-Buttonholes, hemming and professional hand and machine finishing techniques
-Adding in-seam and other kinds of pockets
We will provide:
– a supportive, inclusive, non-competitive atmosphere in which you can work at your own pace to complete your Frocktails outfit
– Sewing machines and all other equipment, tea and coffee
– extensive tuition on garment construction
– Special access to a reserved Frocktails ticket
– Your own sewing machine if you would prefer to use it instead of one of ours.
– Pins, scissors and tracing material.
– A sewing pattern suited to your skill level that you can complete within the 12 hour intensive.Zoe can advise you on pattern and fabric choices suited to your skill level before the intensive commences.
We recommend the vintage-inspired frock patterns from indie pattern label Sew Over It (view the Sew Over It range of patterns available at Fabric Deluxe (our sewing neighbours in Footscray) here.
– Fabric suited to your pattern.
Where: Sewing for Melbourne Frocktails 2019! will be held at our bright, spacious sewing school: Level 1, 9/131 Hyde St, Footscray.
Friday 11th October 6.30pm – 8.30pm
Saturday 12th October11am – 4.30 (including 30min lunch break)
Sunday 13th October 11am – 4.30 (including 30min lunch break).
Getting here: We are located in the Hyde Business Park close to Yarraville Gardens. 5 minutes walk (550 metres) from Seddon Station or 12 mins walk from Footscray Station straight up Hyde St. There are also bus stops nearby.
There is street parking in Hyde St and customer parking behind the complex in Cowper St. See our Contact Page for a map.
NB. There is no visitor parking inside the business park but you can drive in to drop off/pick up things and people if required.
Our workshops are NON REFUNDABLE and NON TRANSFERABLE.
Please familiarise yourself with all our Refund and Cancellation Policies before booking. By booking this workshop you are agreeing to these policies.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or would like more information
4 in stock