Private Sewing Lessons
$80.00 – $200.00
Our customised private sewing lessons will fast-track your sewing skills at any level.
Private one-to-one expert tuition, is available for $80ph (inc. gst). A minimum of 2 hours is recommended for a session.
We will customise your class to suit your needs. We can cover: sewing machine basics, understanding and working through sewing patterns, troubleshooting, basic and advanced sewing techniques, pattern making and fitting, costuming and more! Let us know what you have in mind!. (Note: you will need several sessions to complete a full outfit)
Contact us to have a chat about what you would like to achieve or for rates for more than one or small groups.
Where: At our bright and spacious sewing school: Level 1, 9/131 Hyde St, Footscray.
When: Limited dates available from Monday April 26th
Our availability for private tuition is generally limited to weekday mornings or early to mid afternoons Monday – Thursday. We are unable to offer private sessions on Saturdays or weeknights except between terms when we are not running our term-long sewing courses, Sundays are not available. Please request the times that suit you when you book and we will get back to you to confirm.
Getting here: We are located in the Hyde Business Park close to Yarraville Gardens. 6 minutes walk (550 metres) from Seddon Station or 10 mins walk from Footscray Station straight up Hyde St. There is street parking in Hyde St and customer parking behind the complex in Cowper St. See our Contact Page for a map.
Some Private Class Ideas:
Any of the following workshops we offer at the sewing school can be taken as private one-to-one or small group sessions:
Sewing Machine Basics
Sewing Pattern Basics
Trace a Pattern from a Favourite Garment
Custom Fit Your Sewing Pattern
Hand Sewing for Making and Mending
Fix Your Op Shop Finds
Intro to Sewing Stretch Garments
Sewing Basics– for absolute beginners
- Learn how to use a sewing machine.
- Gain an understanding of fabrics, sewing equipment and basic sewing principles.
- Try your hand at hand stitching- a valuable life skill with loads of applications.
- Complete a fun project of your choice such as a cushion cover, zippered pouch or tote bag using upcycled, heirloom or remnant textiles.
- Learn easy mending, alteration and refashioning techniques to get your wardrobe working for you!
- Tap into your tutor’s vast knowledge of sewing resources and recommendations.
Beyond beginners- get creative!
Sew a simple garment from go to woah
Using a vintage or contemporary sewing pattern, learn to hand or machine sew a beautifully finished piece of clothing such as a skirt, top or dress. Your tutor will take you through all aspects of fitting and garment construction. Suitable for students with basic sewing skills or those who want to build on their existing sewing experience.
NB. A piece of clothing will usually take 4 – 8 sessions to complete.
Make your own homewares and accessories
- Customise your home with cushions and soft furnishings
- Learn to sew a bespoke purse, bag or backpack using vintage or upcyled fabrics.
- Get creative on a project of your choice using upcycled jumpers, jeans, table linens or manchester
Advanced sewists – Finesse your skills
For competent sewists looking for a challenge:
- Learn how to make and adjust patterns to fit.
Trace a pattern from an existing garment
- Learn tricks and techniques to achieve a professional finish.
- Delve into more advanced sewing techniques such as welt pockets, piped seams and plackets.
- Tackle a more complex piece of clothing or a tricky creative textile project.
If you have a particular project in mind that you would like help with get in touch and lets have a chat about it!