Pattern Making and Shaking Short Course: From Sunday 7th January 10-12.30pm (FULL)
If you enjoy working with a pattern and feel that you possess the skills to sew, but lack the skills to achieve a fine fit to your garments, then this short course is for you!
We have lots of feedback that while there are many classes out there where you can draft a standard block, there aren’t many where you can learn practical, everyday techniques for fitting existing patterns and garments onto your own body.
We’ve designed this course to cover both the Top-Down (taking a garment you already love and making it into a pattern) and Bottom-Up (taking a pattern that needs work and building it into something fabulous) approaches in a way that makes sense. We are limiting this workshop to a group of 5 so that we can maximise our time in class.
- Take a full set of accurate measurements for your figure and learn about proportion and body length
- Bring a sewing pattern of your choice and alter it to fit your own dimensions, using common alterations such as full bust and forward shoulder adjustments
- Over the following two weeks (at home), create a simplified toile of your pattern, with guidance on which parts you include/omit at toile stage (don’t worry – it by no means needs to be a finished product!)
- Trace a pattern from an existing garment that you can bring from home, using drafting and flow-through techniques
- If the garment doesn’t fit any more – don’t worry! We can make adjustments now with your new-found skills!
- If you have already completed our “Recreate Your Wardrobe Favourite” workshop and you feel confident with the techniques covered, feel free to use this time in class to sew your toile while listening in and refreshing your memory!
- Flat-pattern draft a sleeve and collar, while adding final touches to your traced patterns such as adding/moving darts and gathers, and adding seam allowance.
- We will start to fit our toile this week, learning where to make adjustments and why.
- Learn more fitting techniques on the body – everybody gets to learn from each others different fit issues in a friendly and team-spirited small group environment
- Transfer fit markings onto your paper patterns, ready for you to sew up your final garment at home in your own time!
Beginning with the basics, you will gain the skills you need to make sense of the pattern in front of you, and map out your own measurements without getting bogged down by existing size charts. Each week you will build up your knowledge and learn new techniques seeing through the fitting process from beginning to end!
Please note: You will most likely need to take sewing home to do during the week in order to have your toile ready to go in weeks 2 or 3.
Skill level: Confident intermediate. You can already use a pattern to make clothing items such as the skirts, dress and trousers but need assistance in the areas of final fit and adjustment.
We will provide: Patternmaking equipment including your own three metre roll of dot-and-cross tracing paper to take home. Sewing machines if you require one and all other equipment, measurement sheets and lots of very practical advice and techniques!
Bring along: A sewing pattern of your choice. We recommend one that has a fitted neckline and armhole, and a dart or princess seam for fitting experience. This could be a shift dress, a fitted skirt, or a simple top depending on where you commonly find a good fit tricky to achieve.
Where: Level 1, 1-3 Whitehall Street Footscray
Booking Policies: Due to our small class numbers our courses are NON REFUNDABLE and NON TRANSFERABLE. Be sure to familiarise yourself with all our Refund and Cancellation Policies before booking to avoid disappointment.
NB: If covid related circumstances mean you have to miss a week we will offer a make-up. You must be fully vaccinated to attend classes.
Payment Options: Paypal using a credit card or Paypal balance. Direct Deposit. Our bank details are in the confirmation email you will receive upon booking. Payment by Direct Deposit is required within 24 hours of booking to secure your place.