Learn to Sew One Day Workshop Sunday 7th April (FULL!) OR Sunday 19th May 10am – 4.30pm
An introductory one day intensive workshop for budding sewists wanting to make clothes, homewares and crafts on the sewing machine. This workshop is an extension of our Sewing Machine Basics workshop and is pitched at absolute beginners.
NB. If you already know your way around a sewing machine you might want to consider taking one of our Beyond Basics Learn to Sew Intensive Workshops and make a garment in a day. We will be scheduling more of these in 2019. Please contact us to express your interest.
– are considering buying a machine but want to give sewing a try first
– have recently purchased a sewing machine but haven’t taken it out of the box yet
– have a lovely old machine you’ve inherited or picked up second-hand, languishing in a cupboard
then this is the class for you!
In this five hour workshop you will learn:
- about the various parts of your sewing machine and understand what they do
- to set up your sewing machine and prepare the threads ready to start sewing
- to stitch straight lines and curves and adjust stitch types for various uses
- to sew and finish seams, facings and hems
- to read and cut out a sewing pattern
- to sew a simple boxy style top with extended shoulders from woven fabric
We will provide: Sewing machines and all other equipment, some fabrics, snacks, beverages, handout notes and lots of very useful tips and tricks!
Bring along: Your own sewing machine if you would like to learn on that (we have plenty if you don’t own one). Your sewing kit if you have one. Your teacher will give you more info about what else you will need closer to the date of the workshop.
Our small class numbers (maximum 6 students) allow your teacher Gaye to give each student lots of personalised attention.
Where: April workshop – The Gaye Abandon School of Sewing, 122 Buckley St, Footscray.
May workshop – At our NEW premises Level 1, 9/131 Hyde St, Yarraville.
When: Sunday 7th April 10am – 4.30pm or Sunday 19th May (including a 45 minute lunch break). Please select your session from the drop down menu.
Getting here: April workshop- We are just near the corner of Buckley St and Victoria St in Footscray.
3 minutes walk from Middle Footscray Station. Street parking out front. See Contact Page for a map
May workshop – We are located in the Hyde St Business Park close to Yarraville Gardens. 6 minutes walk (550 metres) from Seddon Station or 10 mins walk from Footscray Station straight up Hyde St. There is street parking in Hyde St and customer parking behind the complex in Cowper St.
Bookings are NON REFUNDABLE and NON TRANSFERABLE.
Please familiarise yourself with our Refund and Cancellation Policies before booking. By booking this workshop you agree to these terms.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or would like more information