Custom Fit Your Sewing Pattern: Bodices 18th September
Want to sew your own clothes from paper patterns, but haven’t a clue what to do with that mysterious wad of tissue paper with lines all over it that’s called a sewing pattern? Then this is the class for you!
In this three hour workshop you will learn to:
- where to find a good selection of sewing patterns around Melbourne and online
- source, download and print a pdf pattern from the internet
- read the vital information about style, sizing and fabric found on the pattern envelope
- understand the various components of the instruction sheet and the pattern pieces (layout, symbols, measurements).
- compile and trace, home-printed and tissue patterns in preparation for cutting
- layout the fabric and pin down the pattern.
- transfer markings and prepare the cut pieces for sewing
We will provide: Pins, scissors, snacks, handout notes and lots of very useful tips and tricks!
Bring along: Your paper pattern, fabric if already purchased, sharp cutting scissors if you have some.
Our small class numbers (maximum 6 students) allow your teacher to give each student lots of personalised attention.
For students keen to start make clothing and other items using sewing patterns, this class can be taken in conjunction with the Sewing Machine Basics Workshop running on Saturday 5th May.
Where: The Gaye Abandon Workroom, 122 Buckley St, Footscray.
When: Sunday 31st March 2pm – 5pm
Getting here: We are just near the corner of Buckley St and Victoria St in Footscray.
3 minutes walk from Middle Footscray Station. Street parking out front. See Contact Page for a map
NB Our workshops are NON REFUNDABLE and NON TRANSFERABLE.
Please familiarise yourself with all our Refund and Cancellation Policies before booking. By booking this workshop you are agreeing to these policies.
Learn essential pattern alteration skills for creating a garment that fits!
Are you ‘all over the size chart’ when it comes to working out what size garment to make from a sewing pattern?
In our Custom Fit Your Sewing Pattern workshop you will learn to modify a commercial sewing pattern to suit your body shape and personal style. In this three hour workshop you will:
- measure yourself and your pattern accurately and get a grip on the importance of ease in sewing patterns.
- understand how your personal fit preferences, style and fabric choice can impact on your finished garment
- learn how to make common adjustments to your pattern. The adjustments we cover depend on the workshop your are attending (Trousers or Bodices) and include full and small bust adjustments, lengthening and shortening the crotch and inner leg seams on pants to fix pull lines, adjusting between sizes for variations in bust, waist and hip measurements, fitting armholes and sleeves and more!
- create a new pattern from a multi-size commercial sewing pattern to suit your measurements and body shape
- discuss the value of making and adjusting a toile (also known as a calico or muslin) as an interim step to creating a great fitting ‘me-made’ garment
NB. There is no sewing involved in this workshop. We alternate the focus of these workshops between Tops/Bodices and Trousers. The August workshop will focus on fitting pants and trousers. The September workshop will focus on adjusting patterns for tops, dresses and dress bodices.
Skill level: This workshop is pitched at an ‘advanced beginner and above’ level. Experience with using commercial, paper sewing patterns (indie or ‘big 4’) to make garments, and familiarity with common dressmaking techniques required to sew clothing is essential. Please feel free to contact us if you are unsure if you have the skills to take this workshop
We will provide: Dot and cross tracing paper for adjusting your pattern. Rulers & French Curves
Bring along: The paper pattern you would like to adjust, the garment or toile you have made from that pattern if you have one, pen, pencil, ruler, eraser, notebook.
Booking Policies: Due to our small class numbers our workshops are NON REFUNDABLE and NON TRANSFERABLE. Be sure to familiarise yourself with all our Refund and Cancellation Policies before booking to avoid disappointment.
NB: If covid related circumstances prevent you from attending on the date you book, you may transfer to the next date this workshop is held. You must be fully vaccinated to attend this workshop.
Payment Options: Secure Credit Card (via Stripe) or Direct Deposit. If selecting Direct Deposit, payment is required within 24 hours of booking to secure your place. Our bank details are in the confirmation email you will receive upon booking.