Beyond Basics Sewing Courses Term 2
Beyond Basics Sewing Courses– Ideal for students who have completed our 20 hour Beginners Sewing course, or can confidently use a sewing machine to make simple items (see our Beginners Sewing Course listing).
In this Beyond Basics Sewing Course we will learn the skills to construct simple garments using commercial sewing patterns.
Practice on one of our classic Swiss made Berninas or later model machines (or bring your own if you prefer). You will build on your existing stitching skills, learn how to use sewing patterns, and understand the techniques involved in cutting out, putting together, pressing and finishing ‘me made’ clothes
Over eight Tuesday evenings (20hrs) or seven Saturday afternoons (21hrs), you will:
- finesse and build upon your existing machine stitching skills
- learn garment construction techniques
- understand simple sewing patterns, how to prepare and cut the pattern and follow the instructions and diagrams
- learn a range of techniques to advance your clothes making skills
- make three garments (a skirt or boxer shorts, and two tops– one from stretch fabric, one from woven fabric) NB. Depending on how quickly the projects are completed there may be time for other projects
Sewing is a wonderful life skill to possess. Being able to mend, alter, or make your own clothes and homewares from scratch can save you money, reduce your impact on the environment and give you enormous pleasure and pride. You will find that you value and cherish the things you make for years to come. Furthermore, gaining confidence in using a sewing machine and stitching by hand is the first step to realising any number of textile projects. From clothes making and crafting to incorporating sewn textiles into your creative practice knowing how to sew is an essential skill!
If you would like more information about this course feel free to contact us . A minimum of four students is required for the class to go ahead.