Beginners Sewing Courses Term 1 from Tues January 29th OR Sat February 2nd 2019
Learn the essential stitches and sewing techniques you need to get started, in our Beginners Sewing Courses. You can practice on one of our classic Swiss made Berninas, and later model machines or bring your own machine if you prefer. You will gain confidence in your stitching skills and learn new methods while working on a range of projects. Along with the basic machine skills you need to get you started as a sewist, your teacher will show you various hand stitches for finishing and fixing, pressing techniques and tips and tricks for using sewing patterns.
Over 8 x 2 1/2 hour lessons on Tuesday evenings (20hrs), or 7 x 3hr lessons on Saturday mornings (21hrs), you will learn:
- about the various parts of your sewing machine and how they work
- to set up your sewing machine and prepare the threads ready to start sewing
- to stitch straight lines and curves and adjust stitch types for various uses
- to sew and finish seams and hems
- what to do when things don’t go as planned
- to make a three to four beginners projects (including a cushion cover, a tote bag and a simple top)
Sewing is a wonderful life skill to possess. Being able to mend, alter, or make your own clothes and homewares from scratch can save you money, reduce your impact on the environment and give you enormous pleasure and pride. You will find that you value and cherish the things you make for years to come. Gaining confidence in using a sewing machine and stitching by hand is the first step to realising any number of textile projects. From clothes making and crafting to incorporating sewn textiles into your creative practice knowing how to sew is an essential skill!
If you would like more information about this course feel free to contact us . A minimum of four students is required for the class to go ahead.